In Pilates our mission is to help "uniformly develop" the body to bring it back into ideal alignment. The result is a body that moves with ultimate efficiency, transforming the whole body simultaneously.
The Pilates method is a system of movement and therapeutic exercise developed in the early 20th century by German born athlete and physical therapy pioneer Joseph H. Pilates. Originally called Contrology, it is a philosophy of full body movement designed to stretch, strengthen and restore balance in the body. Utilizing the specialized equipment he designed, the method works by using clearly defined movement patterns to tone muscles and balance muscular force at the joint level. As tissue becomes supple, detoxified, re-oxygenated, and absorbent, the mind and spirit heal and the whole body is rejuvenated.
Pilates has not only proven itself as a fitness endeavor, but also as a valuable adjunct to professional sports training and physical rehabilitation.
- Heightens body awareness
- Improves balance and proprioception
- Promotes new neuromuscular patterns
- Develops coordination, speed, agility, and endurance
- Enhances body control
- Facilitates optimal function of internal organs
- Focuses on breathing and its related physical and psychological benefits
- Offers a vehicle for concentration and focus
- Promotes relaxation and release of tension